Thursday, April 29, 2010

For Old Time's Sake

Recently, I headed to Teluk Batik, Perak. On the way back, my family and I headed to Kampung Baharu, Lumut for seafood. Three years ago, my parents, uncle, good friend and I stumbled upon this little village when we went to Lumut to visit my sister in National Service.

At the end of a narrow road that leads to the river mouth is New Bay Restaurant; not anything fanciful. The last time we were there, we had bamboo clams, sweet and sour crabs, curry prawns.. That's what I can remember. But the food was VERY good.

For old time's sake, we had two sweet and sour crabs, curry prawns and kangkung belacan (shrimp paste water spinach, ipomoea aquatica). They didn't have any sort of clams that day. However, we were disappointed this time. The sweet and sour crabs lacked enough taucu (fermented soybeans) and the curry prawns had to much santan (coconut milk). The kangkung was average.

Sweet & Sour Crabs

Curry Prawns

Kangkung Belacan


$$$: I must say that the meal was rather affordable. It came up to RM53.00 only (17.60 USD) for 3 persons, including two Chinese teas and a fresh coconut, and we had leftover prawns that Mom had its flavour tweaked with pineapples!

The food is average but cheap, but, I think I'll be heading elsewhere...


No comments:

Post a Comment